Australian Institute of English Language
Australian Institute of English Language (AIEL) is a trading name of Australian Colleges of Further Education (ACFE). AIEL is a specialised a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) which delivers the nation’s largest scope of English language Certificates for both local and international students. AIEL is proud to offer international students a wide range of Australian government approved courses.
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Courses
AIEL offers a wide range of employment focused courses to our Australian and overseas students. A mainstay of our most popular programs are the ELICOS courses.
Language courses range from Beginner to Advanced and are designed to develop your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills.
The course comprises of the following components:
- Theme-based language development from a core text book
- Teacher designed language extension of macro-skill areas
- Skill development
- Elective programs and option classes
- Self-access sessions
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam preparation courses prepare students to take the IELTS test for academic, work or immigration purposes. The IELTS course focuses on four macro skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking). We target individual needs by identifying specific areas of language deficiency and offering targeted tutoring and in-class activities to counter those deficits. We also focus on the four main macro skills in in class to elevate students’ language ability and their capacity to do well in their IELTS exam. We also actively assist students in booking their IELTS examination. As the IELTS learners have a specific goal, that is to obtain a targeted score from the IELTS test, classes can be set to focus on these learners’ specific needs. Materials and the class level can be moderated to concentrate on that Band score area. AIEL can deliver ‘IELTS Bands 4-5’ or ‘Target Band 7’ to assist with the student’s goal.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program has been designed to prepare international students for vocational or tertiary-level study in Australia and other contexts where English is the language of instruction.
The course aims to develop students’ awareness, knowledge and skills in four key areas:
- The use of English as the language of teaching and learning in a vocational and/or university environment.
- The cultural beliefs, norms and practices underpinning a Western-style academic culture, as well as those of the other cultures students are likely to encounter in a multicultural society such as Australia.
- To prepare learners for further studies in a specific area. Some learners have specific needs i.e. they want to become an engineer, or to transfer existing skills to work in another environment. Therefore, they have specific vocabulary and language needs to help them achieve their specific goal.
- English for the travel and tourism industry.
Learning activities will focus on writing, reading and listening, grammar and vocabulary development, oral presentation skills, research skills and web literacy. There will be an emphasis on the development of critical literacy and critical thinking throughout the course. By engaging in such activities, students will gain increased confidence in using English to communicate in academic contexts at Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels; and develop the study skills they need to cope with the demands of studying at these levels.
AIEL offers one or more flexible training methods:
- Block training
- Workplace based training
- Blended (combination of self-paced and face-to-face)
All AIEL qualifications and programs are offered to be delivered for Australian students, for international students studying in Australia and in overseas countries (offshore delivery).